?

Log in

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Hello! Americans, please stay warm! British people, please stay dry! And the rest of you, just, you know, generally don't have bad things happen to you. Thank you.

My icons are so 2008, but this one is at least timeless. I would have been writing angsty stories about the tortured love of these two like mad when I was 14, had I known what such a thing was and had the ability to password-lock it. These days Morrissey mostly elicits a tired sort of sigh and I don't want to read his autobiography.

Yesterday's Metro contained this delightful letter, which I am about to type out for you, all old-school like, because I can't find it online.

Headline: PE is a lesson in life

So Max Nottingham thinks PE lessons could be too tough following the reported deaths and injuries of some pupils (Metro, Fri)? Honestly, I hope that letter was a joke. Back in my day, and I am only in my thirties, albeit with a private school (sensible and less rule-run) education, if someone had died on the pommel horse, they had either lied about being able to do it or were 'being unthinkingly silly' and that was a lesson to us all.

In my class alone, seven people died in six years at secondary school -- many of them on the rugby field.

However, it was a valuable lesson and taught us to respect the dangers of life rather than to cower in fear and formality.
John, Surrey



I went to a very large rural comprehensive school. There were 300 pupils in my year. I can't remember one pupil dying in my time there, never mind seven.

Honestly, you just can't get the education in the state sector, can you?

This entry was originally posted at http://finisterre.dreamwidth.org/189240.html. All comments welcome anywhere. comment count unavailable.

Comments

( 13 comments — Leave a comment )
nestra
Jan. 7th, 2014 08:40 pm (UTC)
"In my class alone, seven people died in six years at secondary school -- many of them on the rugby field."

Holy shit. I don't think the message he's sending is the one he meant to send.
infinitemonkeys
Jan. 7th, 2014 10:09 pm (UTC)
I think it's probably a parody but the delicious sliver of plausibility, given the stories about minor public schools, is why it tickled me.
parrot_knight
Jan. 7th, 2014 11:09 pm (UTC)
I hope it's a parody. I don't remember anyone dying on a sports field at school (while I paid little attention to sport, I think I would have noticed a death) though there were a few heart attacks finishing people off at university.
hobbituk
Jan. 7th, 2014 09:15 pm (UTC)
Nobody died at my school either...
infinitemonkeys
Jan. 7th, 2014 10:07 pm (UTC)
Do you feel deprived?
hobbituk
Jan. 7th, 2014 10:28 pm (UTC)
Not really... *grins*

Of course, we did have a PE teacher who tried her best to run us to death, but that's another story.
vonniek
Jan. 7th, 2014 09:35 pm (UTC)
Hahaha WHAT. Cue every parent reading the letter cowering in fear and not letting any of their kids near rugby fields.

Pommel horse always struck me as an instrument inviting all sorts of disfiguring genital trauma, but not anything, you know, lethal. Yikes.
infinitemonkeys
Jan. 7th, 2014 10:07 pm (UTC)
Over on DW, londonkds says he thinks it's a parody, and I think he's most likely right. But there's that shred of plausibility that makes it delicious. And yes, there's no need for pommel horses anywhere but near Olympic gymnasts. Ditto vault equipment.
eve11
Jan. 7th, 2014 09:48 pm (UTC)
It sounds like a joke... but I don't know if it really is? But then, I've been re-watching old Monty Python's Flying Circus episodes so may be biased on the write-in letters. I mean, we had 1800 students in my 10th-12th grade school, 600 in my year alone... none of them died in gym class!


Also, oddly enough, a different flister just posted a pic of the last graphic on this page that I skimmed just two entries before reading yours. Two morrissey mentions in 3 posts... Coincidence or do you know each other... ;D
infinitemonkeys
Jan. 7th, 2014 10:03 pm (UTC)
I think it sort of is a joke, but I found it funny. On the DW side, Londonkds reports that people are taking it seriously in today's Metro letters page, in which case, well played sir.

Thanks for the link to the 80s superheroes. I really liked those graphics.
parthenia14
Jan. 7th, 2014 09:50 pm (UTC)
I read that yesterday and I honestly thought it was some sort of typo....or else a major scandal.
infinitemonkeys
Jan. 7th, 2014 09:59 pm (UTC)
Well, I am 90% certain it's a parody (and londonkds is pretty definite it is) but the other 10% finds it faintly plausible given the tall tales about some private schools.

Edited at 2014-01-07 10:00 pm (UTC)
noelleleithe
Jan. 7th, 2014 10:42 pm (UTC)
His class had the lowest mortality rate of any class in school history! (They gave a parasol for Class Protector and everything.)
( 13 comments — Leave a comment )