I owe SEP email, which is coming, honest.
However, I just wanted to say that if there's anyone you know of who likes Torchwood, please tell me who they are so I can friend them in time for the explosion of sheer joy that comes after watching tonight's episode. Particularly if they're watching for the ship o' textiness
My god, that was good, in its own right, end of story. And it was written by Chibnall. Chibnall! The Earth just tilted on its axis or summat.
I am so used to saying with Torchwood that "it was good, but..." then detailing the three plotholes they left hanging and the unpleasant subtextual stench of whatever, or finding that the writing is three steps forward, one step back. (Or in the case of last season, three steps back) Or else someone points out something I hadn't even seen -- for lo, I am dense about these things -- and I get all depressed about the episode in retrospect.
But that may have been the best episode of Torchwood yet, despite a low HSQ, a tight POV and a comparative dearth of Owen. It jiggled with the premise and now that means that Torchwood will crossover with *anything at all*. And Gwen and Rhys are completely OTP.
Next week: glorious, glorious backstory!
How did this become my favourite show on the telly?
(I know, I know, it'll have been the lobotomy...)
In other news:
1) Job interview next Friday, about which I am completely unoptimistic. I am being interviewed by someone who thinks my work sucks. Let's leave aside the fact that I have been doing the job two or three days a week, due to long-term colleague illness. Might as well just go for the commiseration drinks now. I don't even want the bloody job, I just don't want anyone else to get it and start telling me what to do again.
2) House renovations: the budget is now making me laugh. In hysteria.
3) I have this basic philosophy: mates before dates. I despise women who you don't see for weeks and weeks because they've got some fella on the go, then when they get chucked (for they are rarely the chuckers, except when they move onto the new bloke straight away) they are all "hiiii, shall we go to the pub, go for an evening of *girl's talk*" (a phrase which makes me heave). Then soon as they have a new chap, you don't see them for another ten weeks.
No. Mates before dates. So on Saturday I have a day out with a friend I've not seen for a couple of weeks, then I am dog-sitting for Dexter the black labrador on Sunday, and I have to fit in a lot of revision, so that I can bullshit my way around the rather grandiose claims I made in my application for the job I am not going to get and don't actually want (just don't want any bugger else getting etc etc see above)
I have also been invited out by Very Tall A. Is he interested? Is he just lacking in other stuff to do and bored? FFS, I don't know. But he's fun and he pays his round and he is very tall with very big hands, which encourages fun, lascivious thoughts. But because EVERY FUCKING THING IN LIFE must relate to the giant sucking vortex of misery that is my workplace, his brother works there. I swear to God, it's like trying to escape an event horizon.
4) Elbow are magnificent. I think I may have said that already. They are also playing Latitude with Franz Ferdinand and Sigur Ros and Bill Bailey. I think I want to be there.
5) So I am watching the Sarah Connor Chronicles. Holy cow, why didn't any of you people mention how good this show is [/sarcasm] Okay, I am late to the party but let's just embrace the fact that I showed up